You are going to want to add this Indian Chicken Chickpea Curry to your recipe books!
How to Make Indian Chicken Chickpea Curry
- This popular dish is made with boneless chicken breast and simmered in a rich tomato spiced cream sauce that you’re sure to love.
- You can prepare this dish all in one pot on the stove or in your slow cooker/pressure cooker.
- I like to prepare this in my slow cooker on the browning setting, just make sure you are using that lid otherwise you will have a mess for sure.
- Find cooking instruction below in the recipe card.
Now you will want to go down the ethnic food aisle in your local grocery to pick up some “Madras Curry” which is the right kind of curry powder for this recipe.
Then you will add just a few more traditional Indian spices that will make this dish absolutely amazing.
Also if your not to familiar with dried fenugreek leaves, then I encourage you taking a stroll down your groceries ethnic for those as well.
They are sure to have it there somewhere, however if you cannot find them feel free to use cilantro or parsley instead.
Who said it takes a chef to make real Indian curry? Obviously never was in your kitchen.
Feel free to omit the chickpeas if your not a fan, however I love them and find they work so well in this recipe.
Not to mention add more fiber and helps to spread the meal out so you can have leftovers the next day.
If you prefer a much more spicier curry, I definitely recommend that you use fresh tomatoes versus canned. The canned tomatoes do give it a hint of sweetness that I find contrast well with the spices.
However this is your curry, so do as you please.
- Simmer on a low-medium heat for 1 hour on the stovetop
- Cook in the pressure cooker around 10 minutes or depending on your instructions
- Cook in the slow cooker from 8-10 hours.
CAN INDIAN CHICKEN CHICKPEA CURRY BE FROZEN
Yes, just make sure you are freezing them in sealed bags or containers.
Tried this recipe? Mention @easycurryrecipes or tag #easycurryrecipes ! The recipe instructions noted here are the property of Easy Curry Recipes and subject to copyright.
- 3 large Chicken Breasts
- 1 medium can of chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups Cold water
- 754 grams Whole canned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 cup Sour Cream, Full fat
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil
- 1 large Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tbsp Gram Masala
- 1 tbsp Madras Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Dried fenugreek leaves
TO MAKE THE CHICKEN CHICKPEA CURRY:
- In a large pot or into a slow cooker pot add the cooking oil and turn on the heat.
- Next add in large diced onion along with the 2 cinnamon sticks. Sauté till the onions are near translucent then add in the diced chicken and sauté for 5 minutes till the chicken it's no longer pink and the onion is tender.
- Then add in the minced garlic, ginger and sauté for 1 minute till fragrant.
- Add in the chopped or canned tomatoes, chickpeas and all the spices and saute for 2 minutes till fragrant.
- Next add in the sour cream, water, dried fenugreek leaves and tomato paste and follow one of the cooking methods above.
- Once cooked top with more dried fenugreek leaves. Serve alongside some rice and enjoy!
- On low-medium heat for 1 hour on the stovetop
- In the pressure cooker around 10 minutes or depending on your instructions
- Slow cooker 8-10 hours
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 682Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 2066mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 12gSugar: 12gProtein: 38g