This Old Fashioned Chicken Curry recipe is super simple to make and very rich and creamy. Serve alongside some Naan bread or Basmati rice to make it a meal.
Looking for another Indian Curry recipe? Try my Nihari Mutton Recipe
If your looking for an Old Fashioned Chicken Curry that can be made either on the stove-top or in your instant pot / slow cooker. Then you just found it!
This curry is also known as Butter Chicken which originates from North India from back in the 40’s.
IS OLD FASHIONED CHICKEN CURRY SPICY
You can make it as spicy as you would like. The more spice mix you add the more red chili powder will be in it. You can also add more red chili powered on its own to make it extra spicy.
In comparison we would rate the spice level of this dish to other Indian dish, a 4 out of 10.
WHAT SPICES ARE USED IN OLD FASHIONED CHICKEN CURRY
- Salt, Red Chilli, Turmeric, Cumin, Black Pepper, Large Cardamom, Cinnamon, Green Cardamom, Clove, Ginger, Garlic, Star Aniseed, White Pepper
I always use SHAN BUTTER CHICKEN SPICE blend as seen below as it has all of this in it already. Otherwise if your wanting to add in your own spices I highly recommend adding 1 tsp of chili powder, cumin, turmeric and fresh crushed garlic and onions.
How To Make Old Fashioned Chicken Curry
Pressure Cooker: Cook for approx. 10 minutes – after following the initial steps.
Slow Cooker: Place on LOW for 3-6 hours HIGH for 6 hours. – after following the initial steps.
Stove Top: Cook on low for 30 minutes. – after following the initial steps.
Tried this recipe? please take a minute to Mention @easycurryrecipes or tag #easycurryrecipes ! And or leave a comment below, this really encourages me to share more of what I learn with you all here.
The recipe instructions noted here are the property of Easy Curry Recipes and subject to copyright.
- 2 Boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 /2 tsp chili powder
- 1 /2 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 cup Whole Cashews
- 3 large Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 4 tbsp Butter OR Ghee
- 1 large Onion
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp of SHAN BUTTER CHICKEN SPICE BLEND
- Pressure Cooker: Cook for approx. 10 minutes – after following the initial steps.
- Slow Cooker: Place on LOW for 3-6 hours HIGH for 6 hours. – after following the initial steps.
- Stove Top: Cook on low for 30 minutes. – after following the initial steps.
- Start by washing and dicing up your chicken, place in a bowl to marinade.
- Add in ginger/garlic paste, red chilli powder and salt to the bowl and mix everything together to marinade the chicken.
- In your pot/pan heat the cooking oil and fry the marinated chicken till no longer pink, once cooked set aside in a clean bowl.
- In the same pot/pan add onion, butter and cook till translucent.
- Next add in the diced tomatoes, whole cashews, yogurt, cream, vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Next add in the spices simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled down, pour all the mixture into a "FOOD PROCESSOR" and puree till it's creamy.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot/pan and 4 tbsp of butter and the cream.
- Add your cooked marinated Chicken back into the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl along with rice or naan bread and garnish with "Kasoori Methi = Dried Fenugreek Leaves. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 715Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 169mgSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 35g