Short on time but still craving the savory flavors of chicken karahi? Our recipe is designed to be quick and easy without sacrificing taste. Follow our step-by-step instructions for a delicious and satisfying dish in no time.
Imagine a bowl of steaming chicken karahi, a traditional Pakistani dish of succulent chicken marinated in ginger, garlic, and aromatic spices with the perfect balance of flavor, texture, and heat. Many cultures worldwide are familiar with karahi, but few know the full story of its origins. This article explores the story of chicken karahi, and the journey it has taken to become a beloved dish around the world.
From its beginnings in the Punjab region of India and Pakistan, chicken karahi has spread to become a feature in numerous countries, and is now included in many regional and international cuisines. We’ll look at how different cultures have adapted it and made it their own, how to make it at home, and how it has endured as a classic in world cuisine.
Whether you’re a seasoned connoisseur or new to chicken karahi, this article will give you a deeper understanding of this legendary Asian dish, and inspire your next culinary adventure.
WHAT IS CHICKEN KARAHI
It originates from Pakistan and typically is prepared using a whole chicken, however in many East Indian restaurants today you will find it made with boneless chicken breasts as I have used here as well. You may use any cut of the chicken if desired as well.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN KARAHI PAKISTANI STYLE
WHAT IS CHICKEN KARAHI MADE OF
- Ginger and Garlic
Tried this recipe? please take a minute to Mention @easycurryrecipes or tag #easycurryrecipes ! And or leave a comment below, this really encourages me to share more of what I learn with you all here.
This can be made on the stove-top or in your instant pot / slow cooker.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 5 tbsp Karahi powder
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic and ginger
- 2 Thai green chili peppers, diced
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- Start by dicing the chicken and place in a a large bowl along with the minced garlic and ginger and the Karahi spice mix.
- Mix to coat the chicken and marinate in the fridge for a min of 15 mins.
- Next in a large cooking pot add the cooking oil then canned tomato paste and sweat for 5 mins before adding in the chicken and sauté till browned
- Add in the butter or ghee along with remaining ingredients
- Cover and stir every 10 minutes till cooked.
- Serve with naan bread or basmati rice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 866Total Fat: 73gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 56gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g